Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10K on Saturday, 5K on Sunday - Now.. REST

We did a quick 10K on Saturday... Actually, I say 'we' - but there was nobody else there at 9:00 AM when I showed up at the running room. About 3K in, though, I ran in to Curtis and Steve - and I'm glad I did... This was supposed to be a 16K run and they told me they were only doing 10K... NICE! I now had a reason to only run 10 vs. the 16. :-)

So, did a quick 10K for the last time before the big race.

Then, on Sunday, we did a fun 5K "Great Pumpkin Run / Walk" starting from the White Rock Hospital. Strangely - this was a bit of a tough run. It was quite hilly and you were going down fast then up fast. My achilles hurt a bit and still hurts today.

Anyway - my big mission right now is finding my shoes. I have bought the same pair of shoes twice now and I would just walk into the store and ask for the same pair, same size. This time, however, nobody had them.. Yikes! My shoes are quite bagged and I need a new pair. Luckily, we found some online and I am having them shipped to New York. Not the greatest to run in a brand new pair of shoes - however if they are exactly the same pair - it shouldn't be much of an issue. I'll walk around in them for a couple of days first.

And, to track my progress throughout the marathon, the organizers have set up something called "Athlete Alert."

"ING New York City Marathon runners can sign-up to have five (5) of their friends and family receive e-mail tracking their progress on the course. Splits will be reported at every 5K mark along the course as well as at the start, half-marathon mark (13.1 miles/21.1K), miles 16 through 26, and the finish. This service is free and is a great way for people to keep track of your pace and location."

I have done a couple of things -
a) Set up this blog to receive the alerts. (You can email posts to the blog - so if all works well - it should send an email and automatically update my status.)

b) Set up Suzanne, my dad and my sister as recipients.

My race start time is approximately 10:00 AM EST - 7:00 AM PST on Sunday, November 2nd. If all goes according to plan - this blog should receive automatic updates of my progress. We'll see!

Off to New York in about 48 hours.

No comments: