Monday, July 7, 2008

Training for NYC - My first run (I know..I'm starting a little late..)

I thought it would be fun to incorporate some events in my training for the NYC Marathon. (As opposed to simply hitting the road and running..)

The first event of my training was "Seek the Peak" - to raise funds for Breast Cancer - at Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, B.C.

There are 4 stages to this event 16km event -

Stage 1: Ambleside Beach (Main Concession) to end of Keith Road - 3.5km
Stage 2: Keith Road to Grouse Mountain via Capilano Pacific Trail system - 6km
Stage 3: Grouse Grind® to Peak Chalet - 3.5km (2,800' vertical gain)
Stage 4: Top of Grouse Grind® to The Peak of Grouse Mountain and back to plaza outside the Peak Chalet (FINISH) - 3km (400' vertical gain)

At first, I thought I would do the whole event on my own - but then I decided to involve my wife, my sister and my brother-in-law and do it as a relay. I'm glad we all did it together - it was a great day with my family and a lot of fun. My sister brought their two children for support, 7 and 5 years old - and they might do a leg or two in the next couple of years! We finished 17 out of 30 co-ed teams - a good baseline for next year..

It was also great to see my friends from Innovative Fitness there - many of whom are going to be running NYC with me.

I saw the article below in the paper on Sunday and I thought it was a great headline "Gruelling..." That's true - I 'only' did the 6km portion - but I have to admit that it's one of the only times that I have been on a run that is pretty much 99% uphill. Nonstop uphill. When there was a small downhill portion - it was tough knowing that I'll still have to go back up!

"Gruelling 16k race peaks at Grouse Mountain
Allison Cross, Vancouver SunPublished: Sunday, July 06, 2008
700 racers turned out Sunday to participate in a 16-kilometre cross-country trail run that finished on top of Grouse Mountain.
This year's Seek the Peak Relay, which departed from the Ambleside beach in West Vancouver, raised $35,000 for the fight against breast cancer.
Organizers said the number could top $40,000 as pledges continue to come in over the next week.
For the fifth year in a row, runners climbed to a height of 4,100 feet.
In the solo category, Eric Langhjelm finished first overall with a time of 1:31:50. Brett Snider came second with 1:34:26 and Christophe Simon third at 1:35:13. The top women competitor was Teresa Hovik who ran the race in 1:45:09.
The top relay team was the North Vancouver City fire fighters, with a time of 1:38:57.
across@png.canwest.com"



Here's a readout from my GPS watch that shows my 'vitals and stats' from the race. I'm glad that we are starting the progressive training next Monday after everyone gets back from the Seattle to Portland race. Looks like I've got a ways to go!

seekthepeak

That's all for now!

Here's a pic of my sister and her husband (He rocked the Grind!) and my nephew in the background -

n897115552_3491222_2844

No comments: